Saturday, February 23, 2008

Be Like Nike!

We all remember the popular catch phrase 'Just Do It!" used as an advertising slogan for Nike Athletic Wear. While it is such a basic phrase by first appearances, should we actually head what is says I think we would all find our lives to be dramatically improved. That's right stop thinking about things and just do them! I can promise you, you will learn infinitely more about whatever subject area you are studying by actually doing, than by just reading and discussing. Just think how many thousands of hours you have wasted throughout your life by trying to find out as much as you can about a particular subject area, but never actually putting that knowledge into practice.

Let's take the spiritual discipline of prayer for example. While it may be necessary to expand past a juvenille understanding of prayer that we have in sunday school, it was never meant to become a thesis topic for seminary students. We should not be concerned about the how, just begin to express yourself openly and honestly before the Creator of the Universe. Popular speaker Sundar Krishnan and Dr. James McDonald both acknowledge that while their personal libraries are absolutely full of books on prayer they have learned infinitely more on prayer by the consistent daily practice of it rather than studying it.

Now I am not sying that it is not good to have an educated opinion on topics of interest to you but the problem comes in where we know all the theory but have never used any of it. Any teacher will tell you that unless you are able to perform a certain task you don't know what you think you know. You may have read 20 books on nutrition this year but unless you have single digit body fat you don't actually know any of what you just read. If you are still getting sick those books aren't doing you any good. While it may be thought carelessto rush into certain endeavours at least you are making some progress and learning some lessons by trying. No matter how badly you screw up at least you have some solid experience to build upon.

Take all the nutrition and exercise info you've studied and actually apply it. Create a daily regiment for both. Then after a few weeks change some things and evaluate the results. Did what you just do help you, or hinder you? Then once you've adopted the positive changes and tossed the bad, change another factor, and after several weeks evaluate its influence in your life. The idea is to turn yourself into a walking experiment 24/7 so you can actually tell for yourself if what you read is true of not. This is how I live. This is why I have come to most of the conclusions I have by trying new things. Guess what some of the ideas that I thought couldn't possibly work have now formed the foundation of my daily health practices. I am not saying all things will work for all people but I will say most things will work for most people. I don't care if I fail. I don't care if I'm wrong. I would rather try a rediculous theory out for some percieved benefit, whether ot not its true, than to never know if what I just read works.

So instead of playing the sceptic all the time, instead of naysing or arguing that such and such a theory won't work just shut up and try it. You may be surprised. Next time you come across a product in a magazine that sounds to good to be true, order it and try it. What have you got to lose? At least you'll know for sure where you stand.

Years ago I read about a bodyweight conditioning program in a magazine. Not only had I never heard about the author before the claims he was making were quite unbelievable. But it was only $30 and it had a 30 day guarantee so I know I couldn't lose. After following his protocal for 30 days I felt like a new man so I know this was the real deal. Had I passed his ad off as pure nonsense I would have missed out on all that wonderful progress. Since then I have bought many more of this man's products because I know whatever he puts out is quality stuff.

Alternatively I have been burned many times by bogus products, but at least I can say first hand-it doesn't work intead of making up some BS excuse as to why it probably wouldn't work for me.

So go ahead and begin to question what you used to follow without question for a few weeks and see if that rule that you thought was so righteous actually serves a purpose. If you keep all experiments to a few weeks you will be able to see the results but if you were wrong at least you would not have done any significant harm to your body. Is it actually bad to eat a dozen whole eggs everyday? What would happen if everytime you had a piece of fruit you ate all the seeds too? Would it actually hurt me to drink over a gallon of water each day? What if I squated with my knees past my toes? What if I ate a red meat dialy in large quantities? what if I ate raw meat, or raw eggs?

Our culture seems so obsessed with knowing the 'why's' and the 'how's' of everything that most people are missing out on the true power of learning and experince. It was once said 'Do the thing and you will have th power.' Just do and the 'why' and 'how' will be answered for you as you go along. In many other cultures it is an insult to question your teachers. You are simply expected to imitate without question for several years before you can start to form your own opinions on things.

Just Do It!!! DO,DO,DO!!! And the next time I see a pudgy housewife question the opinions of a seasoned nutrition guru or a beer-bellied welfare earner questioning a seasoned multi-millionaire invester I am going to stick a fork in my eye!

No comments: